The Mission of the Homer Youth String Orchestra Club is to foster the orchestral arts for our Homer area youth.
Starting out with just five students in 2004, the Homer Youth String Orchestra now has a group of about twenty-five, ranging in age from five to eighteen years. Children are selected only by their desire to play, and do not need to audition to become part of the Homer Youth String Orchestra. Students from a variety of string instructors in our community are welcome to participate.
We currently have four groups: Scherzos for our younger or beginning students, Allegros for our older or intermediate students, Tuttis for arrangements suited for all orchestra students and Codas for adult wishing to learn a string instrument or enhance their skills.
Students rehearse once a week through the school year and have opportunities to perform in various venues in the community. While the preparation of music for performances is one goal of rehearsals, it is not the sole purpose of our time in class. The main emphasis during class rehearsals is the further development of fundamental techniques essential to the orchestral performance experience, such as basic posture, basic actions, tone productions, rhythm, note reading, ear training and basic musicianship (understanding of basic terminology).
Our goals are:
- To teach students to master skills that will enable them to perform music well on their chosen instrument, leading to lifelong enjoyment and personal fulfillment through music.
- To develop students’ understanding of and appreciation for music and a vehicle for creative self-expression and as a key to understanding past and present human experience.
- To teach students artistic modes of problem solving, which bring analytical and developmental tools to every situation.
- To teach students to adapt to and respect others’ ways of thinking, working and expressing themselves.
- To teach students to analyze and interpret nonverbal forms of communication and make informed judgements of cultural products and issues.
- To develop the ability to respond to music through writing and to evaluate musical performances using a set of established criteria.
These values and skill will be taught through the development of perform abilities and theoretical and historical knowledge of music.
The Homer Youth String Orchestra is a parent-run, volunteer organization – the time and efforts of our families help the club run smoothly. The Homer Youth String Orchestra is a non-profit club under the auspices of the Kenai Peninsula Orchestra, a 501(c)(3) organization.